Thursday, October 24, 2013

The power of Les Mis..a quick and true story

This afternoon I was practicing my music in what I thought was a fairly private place.  As I practiced I felt a presence and noticed there was an elderly gentleman sitting on a bench not too far away. I was a little embarrassed and annoyed, but continued.  Suddenly, this man was beside me with tears in his eyes asking how I came to be singing this particular music at this particular moment. I briefly explained about the show I was rehearsing for.  This man then wept and told me how special this music was to him. It was a passion he shared with his wife.  He told me he had just left her bedside for a few minutes of respite and that she was dying, leaving this mortal plane within a day or so. He said he couldn't believe it when he heard his beloved music and that I had given him a gift.  I then held this stranger while he cried.  After a bit he thanked me and went back to sit by his wife's bedside for perhaps the last time in their long life together.
Until today I don't think I truly understood the power of this story we are telling and how we will touch people in ways we have yet to imagine.
Adeline

8 comments:

  1. What an experience.
    Thanks for telling us sbout it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful - thank you for sharing. Christine Kiekhaefer

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, amazing. How special for him and You!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing Adeline

    ReplyDelete
  5. A touching story of your compassion and how music touches our spirits at all levels. Well written and thoughtfully shared. Thank you, Adeline.
    Erika Maruri

    ReplyDelete